Mill Valley real estate is near the top of the Bay Area home sales market with its stunning luxury homes with spectacular views. This lovely city has a small town charm and the grandeur and reputation of a city larger than itself. Visitors flock to Mill Valley for its festivals, restaurants and shopping. Potential homeowners look at homes longingly, in the hopes of buying one such beautiful residence.
Mill Valley is only a 30-minutes drive to San Francisco and real estate here is not cheap. In certain select areas Mill Valley’s homes are as expensive at those in Larkspur.
Brokers regard Mill Valley as divided into 8-10 geographic areas within incorporated (The City of Mill Valley) and unincorporated areas.
Why is real estate expensive here?
- Well, it’s location, location, location. Mill Valley is near San Francisco, one of the cultural and innovation centers of the country and is full of opportunities. Yet at home surrounded by nature, residents feel they are away from the city and still able to get all the conveniences of city living.
- The city government maintains the size and high living standards of the city of Mill Valley which preserves its unique country-yet moderately urban personality.
- Beautiful neighborhoods are common in Mill Valley. Cottages and bungalows reign in the Sycamore neighborhood. Eucalyptus Knoll homes are situated at the tops of hills while craftsmen homes are hidden in groves, canyons and hillsides. The city is reminiscent of a European village.
- Home owners can buy great real estate. Imagine a beautiful, luxury home built on a hill side with the land spreading through redwood stands and grassy knolls.
- Mill Valley’s breathtaking natural beauty is unmatched. Mount Tamalpais, San Francisco, cold romantic beaches, Napa Valley’s wine region are only a few minutes’ drive and some even visible from different parts of the city.
There is little or no inventory for homes under $500,000 in Mill Valley. For $500,000 to $750,000 condominiums with 2 bedrooms and 1 to 2 baths are available. In the $750,000 to $1,500,000 price range, luxury townhouses are in the market with 2 or 3 bedrooms with freeway access. For the same price an older home in need of repair or renovation, on a small lot or a tear down home in the Sycamore Park area can be purchased.
The $1,500,000 to $2,000,000 priced homes are typically older homes in the Strawberry area that have 3 bedrooms and a 2 car garage. Large new homes with 4 bedroom and 3 baths and a nice view are available in Tamalpais Valley. Tear down or an original home on Sunnyside near downtown and Blithedale Canyon homes with 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, in the hills with decks can also be on the market.
In the $2,000,000 to $3,500,000 price range, homeowners can buy a 5-7 year home on Kite Hill with 5 bedrooms and a small yard. New homes in Sycamore Park up to 2,500 square feet with 4 bedrooms on an 8,000 lot are also available. Another possibility is finding a remodeled home on Middle Ridge with 4 bedrooms and 3 baths.
The most expensive homes are more than $3,500,000. These homes are available in most areas. Tamalpais Valley and Homestead Valley have more home inventories. Smaller properties can be bought in the downtown area, Middle Ridge, Country Club and Sycamore Park.
Public schools which are an important factor for families buying homes are managed by the Mill Valley School District and are highly rated. There are five elementary schools and one middle school, Mill Valley Middle School which is a four-time winner of the California Distinguished School Award. The public high school, Tamalpais High School, is part of the Tamalpais Union High School District, whose five campuses serve central and southern Marin County. There are several private schools which serve Mill Valley and neighboring areas.
One of the most important things to do when you start your home search is to find the right real estate agent who will be your partner in your home search. Someone with experience and local knowledge who can help you find the best home that fits your budget.
If you are still thinking of real estate in Mill Valley make sure you look up the city’s site for more information.